Solution Focused Hypnotherapy (SFH) combines the use of hypnotic techniques with the practical and well-researched strategies of Solution-Focused Brief Therapy (SFBT). It is designed to help people make positive and significant changes to their lives in a relatively short period of time. As the therapy is solution focused the emphasis is on the present and future and on what you want to achieve. The use of hypnotherapy and guided visualisation encourages focus on the positive aspects of life and promotes a deep state of relaxation. This state of ‘trance’ is similar to daydreaming or being in a state of ‘flow’ where you are completely absorbed but still aware of the surroundings and of everything that is going on. It is a very calming, relaxing and re-energising experience.
What happens during a session?
All sessions (with the exception of smoking cessation) begin with a free 30 minute initial consultation during which the nature of the problem is explored and understood. A complementary CD or MP3 will be made available for you to practice relaxing in the comfort of your own home. Further sessions last for up to an hour and consist of a combination of solution focused problem solving techniques and hypnosis bringing together both the conscious and unconscious parts of your mind to generate lasting change. The number of sessions required will vary depending upon the nature of your problem but the key aim is to promote rapid change. Most issues such as generalised anxiety and depression may take 8-12 sessions (sometimes more), whilst simple phobia (dogs, flying, spiders etc) can be helped in just 4 sessions. Smoking cessation is a one off session lasting up to 2 hours.
Conditions that can benefit from Solution Focused Hypnotherapy
- Anxiety: generalised anxiety, panic attacks or anxiety in relation to a particular situation or event.
- Bowel disorders such as IBS: the National Institute for Clinical Excellence (NICE) identifies hypnotherapy as a therapy that should be considered in the management of IBS symptoms.
- Depressive symptoms: lack of motivation, lethargy and persistent feelings of sadness.
- Exam stress: anxiety in relation to exams, driving test, performance or interviews.
- Grief and loss: in relation to losing a loved one, survivor guilt or loss of a relationship or job.
- Low self-esteem: including body issues and lack of confidence.
- Phobias: most commonly specific phobias such as of flying, dogs, spiders, snakes etc.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder: any stress symptoms related to traumatic events such as accidents or victim of crime etc.
- Sleep disruption; including insomnia (inability to sleep) and hypersomnia (excessive sleep).
- Smoking cessation: help with quitting smoking (this is a one off session that does not require an initial consultation).
- Sports performance: help to enhance performance in any sport where you feel like you have ‘hit that brick wall’ or lost your confidence.
Find out more about Nicola Taylor of Eclipse SFH here.
Nicola is available Tuesday and Saturday mornings. Evening appointments are available on request. To book an appointment please give Abergavenny Natural Therapy Centre a ring on 01873 858391 or contact us.